Tuesday, March 3, 2009

her majesty's a pretty nice girl, but she changes from day to day

Hello!

It is Tuesday night here and I am sick :(  Melissa said she would go with me to the pharmacy tomorrow. It's nothing serious, just an obnoxious cold. So I should be all better by the end of the week! Things are going good here. We got a new schedule at work (again) but this time it is pretty rad! Since one of our three kindergarten classes is now attending elementary school, we were unsure about how the morning schedule would work. Originally, after Heather's class left, My star class would have moved to her and I would have gotten a new kindergarten. But since we only had one new student, we just put all the kinders together. So every Monday, Wednesday and every other Friday I teach them and Heather doesn't have to be at work until 2:00 p.m. So Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other Friday I don't have to be at work until 1:25 p.m. I teach an extra grammar/writing class in the afternoons from 1:25-1:55. I'm sure this won't last long, but it rocks while it lasts!

Last weekend I hung out with Katie, Jen, Jordana and Laura in Hongdae. Hongdae is a university area of Seoul and we had a lot of fun! Saturday night Heather and I met up with Chinchu for dinner. Sunday was a pretty lazy day. I finished my student evaluations and watched movies. We did go to a place called "The All-American Diner" for breakfast. It was pretty good. Nothing like back home though! We may go to Suji this weekend... not 100% sure yet. 

Tonight we went to the hospital with our co-workers because Cinderella's brother died last night. He had stomach cancer. Going to the hospital is their version of going to the viewing. We walk in and they have a kind of shrine made in this special room. There is a big photograph of him and underneath it are a bunch of flowers and a table with candles and incense.  His family were wearing black hanbok surrounding the shrine. Everyone there to pay respects would remove their shoes and step up to the alter. They would light the candle/incense (not really sure) And bow deeply two times. Then they would face the male members of the family and bow. It was interesting to see, but I feel so sad for Cinderella. Afterward she led us to this room where we all ate. 

My kid's graduation ceremony was last Friday and they did such a great job! I was honestly scared about their performance. Especially the play they put on! I even dreamt about it twice Thursday night! But they were amazing! I was so proud! I took lots of videos, and I will post them on my youtube channel (blackbirdlane) soon! First they sang "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. Then they introduced each other. Melissa had paired them up and had them introduce each other. Harry didn't come to school in January so he was absent for that. So he had no one to introduce and no one to introduce him. So Melissa had him introduce me... but it was a surprise! I was taking videos with my camera and Harry walked up. Then Dylan said, "Teacher! Come up here!!" I said, "What??" And Melissa said, "Yes, Anna Teacher, Harry will introduce you." It was so sweet! I was very surprised and touched to be included! They are amazing kids, I will miss my kinders so much. Then they did reading and sang "Octopus' Garden" by the Beatles. I taught them that! It was very cute and they did a great job! Then they did the musical Huengboo and Nolboo which a traditional Korean story. 

Okay, this is getting pretty long winded and I am getting sleepy! Miss you guys so much! All of my love to you!
The kids dancing! Aren't their Hanbok beautiful??


This is Ben. He is in elementary school now.


This is my Steve!





This is Sara! She is so pretty!


This is me with my whole class! I love them!


This is me with Olivia and Ben. Do you like my Hanbok?



My beautiful girls Sara and Abi!


Three of my cute little boys Dylan, Ben and Harry!

This is Me with Shawna and Clara on Shawna's last day! I asked Shawna would she miss school and she said only me and Clara!


This is Katie, Jordana, Me, Jen and Laura in Hongdae!



No comments: